The DR650SE comes with steel cross bar type 7/8" handle bars that are painted black and seem to be made of the cheapest steel known to man. The simplest tip over can result in bent bars. Very popular mods are replacing the stock 7/8" bars with aluminum bars having a sweep back and height to match the riders preferences, installing bar risers, replacing the stock bars with tapered type MX bars using a set of 7/8" to 1-1/8" handlebar clamp adapters in the stock rubber mount clamps and replacing the stock rubber mount clamps with 1-1/8" bar rubber mount clamps.
Links that can help
- Pro Taper's 1-1/8" rubber mounted bar clamps
- Some 7/8" to 1-1/8" adapters
- Fasst Company's anti-vibration inserts for aluminum bars
- Tag Metal's array of bar mounts
- Pro Taper 7/8" aluminum bars
- Pro Taper 1-1/8" aluminum bars
- Moose Racing 1-1/8" aluminum bars
- TAG Metals 1-1/8" bars and mounts
- SW-MOTECH Handlebar riser barbacks & top clamps 1" rise 1" pull back.
- SW-MOTECH Handlebar Risers - 20mm, 25mm, 30mm or 50mm.
Hand Guards and Bark Busters
The stock DR650SE came with lever bracket mounted plastic hand guards. They provide some protection from wind, small stones and very light brush... but that's about it. If you want grip protection, better hand protection through larger plastic covers or any kind of serious hand protection you need to add a set of bark busters that attach to the end of the handlebars and clamp to the main bar towards the triple clamp. The aluminum bar type are generally the strongest but even the plastic ones are far superior to the unsupported stock guards.
Links That Can Help
- Moose aluminum Bark Busters
- Plastic covers to fit the Moose Bark Busters, large and small (Moose Bark Busters with large white covers on the DR on the cover page)
- Acerbis hand guards and components
- Cycra hand guards and components
- Fastway F.I.T. hand guard and steering dampener mounting components
- Enduro Engineering hand guards and components
- Barkbusters VPS Handguard with universal full-wrap aluminum backbone
- Barkbusters Storm S4 handguard with full-wrap aluminum backbone
- Barkbusters Ego handguard with full-wrap aluminum backbone
- Highway Dirtbikes
An invaluable tool on longer rides to help with fatigue is a throttle lock. Designed to hold the throttle in position while you stretch out the wrist, palm and fingers.